Date Created: March 10, 2020 - 9:31am
This role supports flow cytometry-based basic and translational research for the Heme Malignancy Program. The primary responsibilities include operation of florescence activated cell sorting (FACS) and analyzer instruments, maintenance of flow cytometry equipment, quality control procedures, sample and process tracking, working closely with research scientists and assisting in the training of new users. This role independently performs a full range of complex assignments and projects that involve intensive application of knowledge of flow cytometry in the fields of immunology and cancer biology.
- Calibrates, maintains and conducts quality control procedures of major fluidic and Optical systems of the flow cytometer, including scheduling, troubleshooting maintenance of one 5-laser Aria BSL2 sorter and Cytek Aurora analyzer.
- Responsible for daily instrument calibration, modifications and adjustment of instrument parameters; identifies control samples, according to experimental requirements.
- Ensures protocols are clearly understood and sorting is carried out exactly as requested. Maintains close communication with principal investigators during sorting phase of experiments and contacts researchers with any questions or issues.
- Maintains reagents and supply inventory.
- Records quality assessment metrics for flow cytometry results. Reports and documents deviations from standard operating protocols.
- Schedules use of cell sorting and analyzer equipment to ensure maximum availability.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining record keeping systems of instrument parameters, computer data backups and instrument usage.
- Reviews current flow cytometry literature for improved methodologies and quality control procedures.
- Provides additional technical support and troubleshoots instrument or computer problems as they arise.
- A minimum of 2 years experience with experimental design and experimental execution with multi-color flow cytometric technology.
- Flow Cytometry Analyzer experience is required (ie 4-5 laser Fortessa or LSR equivalent).
- Experience in the operation of multiparameter cell sorters is highly desirable, but not required. Sorter training will be provided.
- Knowledge of BD DIVA software and hardware is required.
- Knowledge of biology and scientific approach in order to perform the full range of duties related to experimental protocol and the use of the cytometer to design experiments for original research.
- Technical knowledge of aerosol containment and biosafety control procedures associated with flow sorting is preferred.
- Experience writing laboratory SOPs and technical instructions is preferred.
- Skilled in developing new applications for the cell sorter and participation in the design of experiments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities requirements:
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, experience communicating with peers and management of a scientific nature.
- Highly organized and self motivated.